Feb 22, 2024  
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Complete Admission information is available at www.clemson.edu/admission.

Application Information

Applicants can access Clemson’s application platforms at clemson.edu/apply. Applications are available directly through Clemson through The Coalition for Affordability and Access at coalitionforcollegeaccess.org/ or through the Common Application at commonapp.org.

Applicants should understand that admission is closed when all classroom space has been committed. The majority of first-year admission decisions are communicated during the middle of February. Transfer students seeking entrance in August are usually notified between February and July. Applicants must pay a nonrefundable application fee. This fee is not applicable toward tuition and/or other University fees.


Application Deadlines
  First-Year Applicants  
  Spring semester December 15
  Fall/Summer Semester, Priority December 1
  Fall/Summer Semester, Final May 1
  Transfer Applicants  
  Spring Semester December 1
  Fall/Summer Semester July 1

First-Year Students

Admission to the University is competitive and is based primarily upon high school performance and SAT or ACT scores. An applicant’s intended major and residency also receive consideration. To apply for admission, a candidate must submit the self-reported academic record (SRAR) and have results of the SAT and ACT sent directly from the testing agency (optional for 2022-2023). In addition, all applicants for first-year admission should complete the following courses in high school:

English - 4 credits
All four courses must have strong grammar and composition components, with at least one in English literature and at least one in American literature. College preparatory English I, II, III, and IV will meet these requirements.

Mathematics - 4 credits
These include algebra I (for which applied mathematics I and II may count together as a substitute if a student successfully completes algebra II), algebra II, and geometry. A fourth higher-level mathematics unit should be taken before or during the senior year.

Laboratory Science - 3 credits
Two must be selected from biology I, chemistry I, or physics I.

Foreign Language - 3 credits
All three must be earned in the same language. Students who have completed fewer than three credits of the same foreign language are still encouraged to apply.

Social Sciences - 3 credits
American history is required. One-half credit of government and one-half credit of economics are also recommended.

Fine Arts - 1 credit

Physical Education/ROTC - 1 credit

Other - 2 credits
One of these must be a fourth year of mathematics, laboratory science, or foreign language. Students interested in engineering are strongly encouraged to take a fourth year of mathematics. This course should be selected from precalculus, calculus, statistics, or discrete mathematics. The second credit must be in advanced mathematics, computer science, or a combination of these; or one unit of world history, world geography, or western civilization.

Transfer Students

You are considered a transfer applicant if you have earned a high school diploma or equivalent credential and have attended a college or university in a full-time or part-time status during a regular semester.

Students should have official transcript(s) sent directly to Clemson’s Admissions Office from the registrar of each college or university where credit was earned. A transcript that states “Issued to Student” is considered unofficial. Unless so stated on the transcript, the applicant should also present statements of honorable dismissal and of eligibility to return to the institution last attended.

Transfer admission is becoming increasingly more competitive. Transfer applications are reviewed on a rolling basis as they become complete (all required documents are received). Admission is closed when all classroom space has been committed.

Requirements for Transfer Applicants    
  1. Complete a year of college study - after high school graduation - earning 30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours of transferable credit. Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and Dual Enrollment credit may not be used to count toward the 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) requirement.
    Note: Consideration for transfer with fewer than 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) is possible, but applicant must also submit high school transcript and test scores (SAT or ACT). High school performance will be reviewed first, and a strong high school GPA, class rank and standardized test score are necessary. College academic performance is also required and will be reviewed, in addition to high school information. Must meet freshmen admission requirements.
  2. Earn a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale - 3.0 preferred.
  3. Complete freshmen-level courses in English, science and mathematics for your intended major at Clemson University. Refer to the Transfer Course Equivalency List (TCEL) on the Clemson University website to see which courses have been previously transferred to Clemson from your institution.
  4. Must be in good standing and eligible to return to the institution last attended.

Some majors at Clemson are more competitive due to grade point average requirements and space limitations. Students interested in one of the majors listed below should select a second choice of major on the application to allow more flexibility in the review process.

Space-restricted majors include Architecture (available for Fall semester only); Communication Studies; Health Science (available for Fall semester only); Landscape Architecture (available for Fall semester only); Nursing (available for Fall semester only); Accelerated Second Degree Nursing (available for fall semester only); Performing Arts (Audio); Pre-Business; Psychology; RNBS Completion Track (offered fully online) and Sports Communication.

GPA-restricted majors include Construction Science and Management (3.0 GPA required), Early Childhood Education (2.75 GPA required), Elementary Education (2.75 GPA required), General Engineering (2.7 GPA required), Secondary Education (2.75 GPA required) and Special Education (2.75 GPA required).

Additional requirements for select majors:

Nursing: Priority consideration is given to students who have completed and excelled in the appropriate science and math courses, which include: General Biology (BIOL 1030/1050 or BIOL 1100), Anatomy & Physiology I & II (BIOL 2220/2221 & BIOL 2230/2231), Microbiology (MICR 2050/2051 or MICR 3050/3051), General Chemistry (CH 1010/1011), and Statistics (STAT 2300). Transfer students may use the Transfer Credit Equivalency List (TCEL) through the Clemson website to informally evaluate their own transfer credits. You can cross reference your courses to the nursing curriculum.

Accelerated Second Degree Nursing: Must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university. All prerequisite courses must be successfully completed prior to the start of classes. For more information regarding admission requirements, curriculum plan and contact information, visit clemson.edu/cbshs/departments/nursing/degrees/nursing-accelerated-second-degree.html.

RNBS Completion Track: Allows registered nurses with an associate degree in nursing to earn a bachelor’s degree in nursing (offered in a fully online format only).  For more information regarding admission requirements, steps for admission and enrollment in RNBS track, program details, you may visit the website at clemson.edu/cbshs/departments/nursing/academics/rn-bs.html.

Construction and Science Management: Construction Science Management major should have a minimum grade point average of 3.0; and must have successfully completed English Composition (ENGL 1030), Physics I (PHYS 2070/PHYS 2090), and Calculus I with physics (MATH 1060) or Business Calculus (MATH 1020) for review consideration.

Performing Arts: An audition is required for students interested in pursuing music or theater concentrations. For more information, visit clemson.edu/caah/academics/performing-arts/academics.

Transferring from a South Carolina Technical College

The Statewide Articulation of 86 Courses is referred to as the “List of Universally Transferable Courses.” These are general education courses guaranteed to transfer to any two- or four-year public institution in South Carolina. While these courses are guaranteed to transfer, some may transfer as elective credit and not count toward degree requirements. Prospective transfer students are advised to use the Transfer Credit Equivalency List (TCEL) on the Clemson admissions website and follow the curriculum outline for their intended major in Clemson’s undergraduate catalog. It is also recommended that prospective students consult with an academic advisor to learn more about how these courses will transfer into their intended major at Clemson University.

Information regarding transfer from a South Carolina technical college is available at https://media.clemson.edu/ows/web/admissions/21-advanced-standing.pdf. Prospective transfer students are also encouraged to refer to the University’s website at clemson.edu or the South Carolina Transfer and Articulation Center (SCTRAC) at sctrac.org.

Depending on the student’s chosen major, some courses may not be applicable toward a Clemson degree.

Transfer Admissions Officers

Kathryn Rice, Assistant Director of Admissions
Peyton Bade, Transfer Admissions
Rachel Walker, Transfer Admissions

105 Sikes Hall
Clemson University
Box 345124
Clemson, SC 29634-5124
Phone: 864-656-2287
FAX: 864-656-2464

Transfer Credit

Generally, transfer credits are applicable toward degree requirements if the courses taken are:

  • Earned at a school accredited by a regional accreditation association, such as the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
  • Similar in description to the corresponding course at Clemson.
  • Required or permitted as an elective in a student’s curriculum.
  • Graded at least one letter grade above minimum passing mark, usually a C or better.
  • Not a duplication of credits already earned.

Coursework completed with a grade of C or better at other regionally accredited institutions, including correspondence courses, telecourses, on-line courses, and exempted courses, will be evaluated for transfer credit. This does not guarantee that all courses taken at other institutions will be accepted for transfer. The acceptability of each course or exemption will be determined through an evaluation by the Office of Admissions, and will be based on content, level, comparability to Clemson courses, and applicability to Clemson degree requirements. Transfer courses are evaluated as a direct Clemson equivalent, elective credit, or not college transferable credit. Subject area electives are listed on the transfer course summary as 1999, 2999, 3999 or 4999. Courses that do not have direct Clemson equivalencies may possibly be substituted for required courses in a degree program with approval of the student’s major advisor. Questions about how a course has been evaluated should be directed to the department responsible for teaching the course. If a course does not have a direct Clemson equivalency, the following abbreviations are used: NCT 0001 (Not College Transferable), ELEC 0001 (free elective credit), and 1999, 2999, 3999 or 4999 (subject area elective). Go to clemson.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/course-transfer-information.html for more information on transferring credits to Clemson University.

Effective June 1, 2022, students who graduate with an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from a state of South Carolina public two-year institution of higher education are guaranteed to receive a minimum of 60 transfer credit hours and junior class standing upon enrolling at Clemson University. All degree requirements, course prerequisites, minimum grades and credit requirements still apply. (South Carolina proviso 117.152)

Coursework earned at different institutions will not be joined to equate with one Clemson course. Students must submit a registrar’s explanation stating that a grade of P or S is equivalent to a C or better before transfer credit may be awarded.

Learning experiences including, but not limited to, non-collegiate sponsored instruction, work-related experiences, etc. will not be evaluated for transfer; however, enrolled students may request credit by examination from the appropriate department for any non-transferable learning experience. For additional information, see Credit by Examination in the Academic Regulations  section.

Students transferring may select the curriculum that was outlined in the Clemson University Undergraduate Catalog at the time they entered the sending institution, provided they have been in continuous enrollment. Further, transfer students may select any curriculum adopted subsequent to that initial curriculum. After enrolling at Clemson, if a transfer student changes from one major to another, the student will complete all of the requirements included in the new curriculum that are in effect at the time of the change. If all coursework toward a degree is not completed within six years after the initial enrollment at the sending institution, the student may be required to complete additional courses.

General Information

Entrance Examinations

All freshman candidates and some transfer students must submit scores from either the SAT or ACT (optional for 2022-2023). For August enrollment, it is recommended that students complete the SAT or ACT no later than the preceding December. Registration materials for these tests are readily available at high schools or by contacting the College Board at 609-771-7600, or 1-800-SAT-SCOR or collegeboard.com; or the American College Testing Service at 319-337-1313 or act.org. The College Board’s institutional code for Clemson is 5111. The ACT code for Clemson is 3842. All candidates must have their scores reported directly to Clemson by contacting the appropriate testing agency. Photocopies of student test reports or those submitted by third parties, such as high schools and colleges, are not accepted.

Cambridge International A Level, AP and IB Credits

As a nationally ranked research university, Clemson welcomes students with AP, IB, Cambridge International A Levels and transfer credits. The University recognizes the academic value of earning college credits before even setting foot on campus, and we encourage students with credits to apply and transfer to Clemson.

Credit Transfer Charts can be found at https://www.clemson.edu/admissions/applying-to-clemson/credit-transfer.html.

Dual Enrollment

Dual enrollment courses enable high school students to take college-level courses and earn college credit before graduating from high school. Students should have official transcript(s) sent directly to Clemson’s Admissions Office from the registrar of each college or university where credit was earned. A transcript that states “Issued to Student” is considered unofficial. Courses that have previously been evaluated are listed on the Transfer Course Equivalency List (TCEL) at clemson.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/course-transfer-information.html. If a student has taken a course not listed on the TCEL, the course will be evaluated by the Office of Admissions once the student has been accepted by Clemson. Students will be notified by letter of the credit they will receive at Clemson before they enroll in the fall.

Placement Tests

Mathematics Placement-Placement into introductory mathematics, physics, and statistics courses is primarily done using a student’s score from the mathematics portion of the SAT or ACT. However, a student may choose to take the Clemson Mathematics Placement Test (CMPT) to improve upon their placement. Placement is adjusted as appropriate after AP and IB scores or credits for previous mathematics courses have been received by Clemson. For more information, please visit the CMPT website at mthsc.clemson.edu/CMPT.

Modern Language Placement-The Department of Languages offers placement tests that students are required to take during summer orientation. Any student who has had at least one year of a modern language and who decides to continue with the same language at Clemson, must take one of these tests. Applicants desiring advanced placement in a modern language may take the College Board’s SAT Subject Test, Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations, or the International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level Examination. SAT Subject Test scores of 450 or higher enable students to exempt one or more language courses. These students will receive credit following the successful completion (grade of C or better) of a qualifying course at Clemson.


Candidates submitting General Educational Development (GED) credentials in lieu of a high school diploma must be 19 years of age or older. Official GED score results must be received directly from the General Educational Development Testing Service along with an official copy of the high school transcript and SAT or ACT scores. Applicants presenting the GED will be reviewed by the Undergraduate Admissions Committee.


Clemson University receives more applications for undergraduate admission than there are spots available. The admissions process is competitive and academically selective, so all applicants cannot be granted admission. The Office of Admissions takes great care in the consideration of our applicants, and successful appeals are rare. However, applicants with new and compelling information that were denied undergraduate admission to Clemson University may submit an appeal to be considered for admission again. All appeals will be processed by the Office of Admissions and referred to the Undergraduate Admissions Committee. For more information on how to submit an appeal and required documents, visit clemson.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/appeals.html.

Admission Exceptions

If it is not possible to make a positive decision on the basis of previous academic performance and SAT or ACT scores, other factors, such as special talents or high school profile, may be considered. Where appropriate, the Office of Admissions will refer such cases to the Undergraduate Admissions Committee. Student athletes who do not meet regular admissions standards may be considered based on individual reviews of their academic credentials and other factors that may impact their academic success. The Office of Admissions may refer these cases to the appropriate faculty committee charged with their review.

College Board College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

CLEP is designed primarily for adults with nontraditional learning experiences. This program has very limited recognition at Clemson. A few departments accept credit for CLEP subject-matter examinations; however, CLEP General Examinations are not recognized. Credit is awarded for introductory-level courses according to criteria established by the following departments: Chemistry, English (composition only). Numerical scores plus essays, required when offered as part of a CLEP examination, will be evaluated by the appropriate department. CLEP credit cannot be used to meet admissions requirements.

Admission Deposit

All accepted first-year and transfer candidates for fall semester are required to submit a nonrefundable $200 admission deposit. This deposit is applicable toward tuition and other University fees.


All first-year students who are under the age of 21 at the time of enrollment who do not live with parent/guardian(s) [within Anderson, Oconee and Pickens Counties] are required to live in University Housing (on-campus) for the fall and spring semesters. Housing for transfer students is not guaranteed and is only offered if additional space is available.

Orientation Programs

The University offers a series of orientation programs during the summer for first-year and transfer students and their parents/guests. All required Orientation-related programs are online for 2022. All accepted students are required to complete the orientation process. During orientation, students have an opportunity to discuss their educational objectives with an advisor, register for the fall semester, and learn about student life and other co-curricular activities. All new students register for their first semester at Clemson as listed below. For more information about the orientation programs fee structure, visit clemson.edu/orientation.

2022 Summer Course Registration Dates

Date   Student Group
June 20   Honors Students
June 21   First-Year Students
June 22   First-Year Students
June 23   First-Year Students
June 24   Transfer Students
July 18   First-Year Students
July 19   First-Year Students
July 20   First-Year Students
July 21   Transfer Students
July 22   Transfer Students

F and J student visa holders are expected to attend an additional International Student Orientation session, which is conducted by the Office of International Services. Additional information about the International Student Orientation and other arrival support is available in the International Student Arrival Guide.

International Undergraduates

The Office of Admissions guides undergraduate international students through the process of applying for admission to Clemson University. International students, either first-year or transfer students, must meet specific academic and English-language qualifications to be considered for admission. All prospective freshman and transfer students are required to submit official SAT or ACT scores. English language equivalency (TOEFL/IELTS/DuoLingo) is required for all students from countries where English is not the native language. Transfer students from within the United States may exempt this requirement based on successful completion of English composition courses I and II, with a grade of B or better, that are equivalent to Clemson’s ENGL 1030 course.

Students applying to Clemson from outside the United States must have transcripts, mark sheets, and academic records verified by a certified U.S. foreign credential evaluation service. For coursework completed outside the United States, a prospective transfer student must provide course descriptions to be evaluated for Clemson academic credit. If the course descriptions are not already in English, they must be translated by an official English-language translator. If certified translations and sufficient course descriptions are not provided, accepted students will not see Clemson University equivalencies on their transfer evaluation summary. Students may provide their academic departments with course descriptions for review once they enroll at Clemson University. For information on undergraduate admissions and requirements for international undergraduate students, visit clemson.edu/admissions/applying-to-clemson/international-undergraduate-students.html.

Questions regarding immigration issues should be directed to the Office of International Services at clemson.edu/campus-life/campus-services/international/index.html.


You are a veteran if you have served or are currently serving our nation in the United States armed forces. We appreciate your service and offer a variety of programs to assist you, both in the application process and throughout your time at Clemson.

If you have not earned any college credit after high school graduation, you will apply to Clemson as a first-year student. Find more information about deadlines, requirements and processes for applying to Clemson as a first-year student at clemson.edu/admissions/applying-to-clemson/freshman-students.html.

If you have completed college-level coursework at another institution after high school graduation, you will apply to Clemson as a transfer student. Transfer applications are reviewed on a rolling basis as they become complete, and admission is closed when all classroom space has been committed.

Veterans who have completed courses at another institution or while in service can improve their chances for admission to Clemson by:

  • Completing 18 transferable credit hours of college study (after high school graduation). College courses must be completed at a regionally accredited college or university.
  • Earning a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
  • Completing freshmen-level courses in English, science and mathematics for your intended major at Clemson.
  • Remaining in good standing and eligible to return to the institution last attended.

To learn more about transferring credit to Clemson, please visit the Transfer Course Equivalency List (clemson.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/course-transfer-information.html) to input your course information. If your course does not appear on the list, then it will be evaluated by Admissions upon receipt of your application and acceptance.

Clemson University does not automatically accept ACE or Military Training Credit, but there are ways to request an evaluation of these courses for potential transfer credit after enrollment. Discuss your options with the office of Military and Veteran Engagement and your Academic Advisor.

If you have specific questions regarding your major at Clemson, you may communicate with a faculty advisor by going to the Advisor Contact List (https://media.clemson.edu/ows/web/pdfs/admissions/tcel/transfer-advisor-list.pdf) where you can find their office location, phone number and email.

For information regarding military and veteran engagement, VA educational benefits, military residency and deployment/activation guidelines, please go to clemson.edu/studentaffairs/case/military-and-student-veterans/index.html.

Non-Degree Seeking Students

Non-degree students can enroll in a limited number of undergraduate credit hours and are classified with a non-degree status. Examples of non-degree students include: high school students wishing to dual enroll in preapproved courses, individuals wishing to take courses for personal enjoyment and professional development, and individuals needing prerequisites for professional schools. Students interested in graduate studies at Clemson who need undergraduate prerequisite courses should apply as non-degree through the Clemson Graduate School.

The non-degree status is not a “trial admission” status and students who have been denied regular undergraduate admission are not eligible.

The number of undergraduate credit hours taken in this status may vary by program, but no more than 18 semester hours will be allowed. Once the credit hour limit has been reached, the student must apply to a degree seeking program if he or she wishes to take additional courses. Applicants should apply online at clemson.edu and supporting documents may be requested if needed. Financial aid is not available.

Readmission of Former Undergraduates

Undergraduate students (not special or transient students) who have previously attended Clemson and are not currently enrolled in the current term and wish to return, must apply online at admissions.clemson.edu/apply.

The Undergraduate Application for Re-Admission fee is $40.00 and online instructions for payment are provided in the application. Acceptance letters and registration materials are e-mailed to returning students at the e-mail address provided on the application once the student has been re-accepted. Students may also check the status of their application via the application portal: admissions.clemson.edu/apply. Students who have graduated from Clemson applying as former students returning are assigned a program of “Non-Degree Seeking Undergraduate.” These students must complete a Change of Academic Program form through the Office of Enrolled Student Services located in 104 Sikes Hall. Students who have not graduated from Clemson applying as former students returning to continue their undergraduate studies are readmitted into their previous major, but under the catalog year during which they are readmitted. Students with senior status-90+ hours-are readmitted into their previous major and the catalog year during which they last attended the University. If a student’s previous major has been discontinued, the student is assigned a program of “Non-Degree Seeking Undergraduate” and must complete a Change of Academic Program form and select a degree-granting program. Students are required to satisfy the University’s general education requirements in addition to curricular requirements. Any variations in curricular requirements will be considered under the substitution procedures. If all work toward a degree is not completed within six years after entrance, the student may be required to take additional courses. Other information can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office.

After admission and prior to enrolling in courses, all former undergraduates must meet with an advisor in the Academic Success Center (ASC). Advising appointments are made on a first-come, first-served basis. Students considering enrolling in a course over the summer should meet with an advisor early. Course registration is not permitted until the student meets with an ASC advisor.

Any student who is classified as an in-state student for tuition and fees purposes must reaffirm his or her resident status upon application for readmission to the University. If the resident status of an individual changes, that student will be classified as out-of-state for tuition and fees purposes upon readmission to the University. If the resident status is not immediately clear, the student may be required to submit an application for resident status to the Office of Residency Classification.

Illegal Immigration Reform Act Process

Section 59-101-430 of the South Carolina Code of Laws states:

“(A) An alien unlawfully present in the United States is not eligible to attend a public institution of higher learning in this State, as defined in Section 59-103-5. The trustees of a public institution of higher learning in this State shall develop and institute a process by which lawful presence in the United States is verified. In doing so, institution personnel shall not attempt to independently verify the immigration status of any alien, but shall verify any alien’s immigration status with the federal government pursuant to 8 U.S.C. Section 1373 (c).

(B) An alien unlawfully present in the United States is not eligible on the basis of residence for a public higher education benefit including, but not limited to, scholarships, financial aid, grants, or resident tuition.”

In accordance with section 59-101-430 of the SC Code of Laws, also known as the South Carolina Illegal Immigration Reform Act, the Clemson University Board of Trustees hereby institutes the following process:


All applicants to Clemson University are required to verify on their application whether they are a U.S. citizen, Permanent Legal Resident or will be lawfully present in the United States at the time of enrollment on some other grounds. Enrollment at Clemson University for both undergraduate and graduate students is conditioned upon verification of lawful presence in the United States.

South Carolina Code of Law section 59-101-430 prohibits Clemson University from independently verifying the status of any legal alien. An alien’s status must be verified with the federal government. Therefore, Clemson University will use either the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS), a Web-based technology that tracks and monitors schools and programs, students, exchange visitors and their dependents throughout the duration of approved participation with the U.S. education system, or the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) program, Homeland Security’s online system of alien status determination or any federal source of information about lawful alien presence that becomes available to Clemson University.

The Board of Trustees delegates responsibility for administering the details of this process to the Provost and the Office of Academic Affairs.