The Bachelor of Arts in Sports Communication provides a thoroughly integrated yet individualized degree program that prepares students for communication careers in the sports industry. In addition, the program provides a foundation for graduates who wish to pursue advanced degrees in sports communication. Through their coursework and extracurricular experiences, Sports Communication majors develop a set of skills in oral, written, and visual communication that enables them to research, design, present, and evaluate messages across diverse contexts and from a variety of platforms, including social media and digital communication technology.
Students may change majors into the Sports Communication program based on approval of a committee of faculty from the Department of Communication. The deadline for applying for a change of major during the fall semester is September 15, with decisions made by October 1. For spring semester changes of major, the deadline is February 15, with decisions made by March 1. Acceptance to the major is competitive and applicants should have completed 15 credit hours, including ENGL 1030 and COMM 2010 (with a B or better). All students requesting a transfer into the Sports Communication major must have a grade-point average of 3.0 or higher. An application form and a writing sample are also required. Detailed information is available from the Communication Department, 408 Strode Tower, or on the departmental website: http://www.clemson.edu/cbshs/departments/communication.
- COMM 2500 - Public Speaking 3 Credits
- Arts and Humanities (Non-Lit.) Requirement 3 Credits 3
- Modern Language Requirement 4 Credits 1
- Mathematics or Natural Science Requirement 3 Credits 3
- Elective 3 Credits
Total Semester Hours: 120
1 Students must complete through 2020 in a modern language. See Modern Languages Requirement at Clemson University statement in Academic Regulations .
2 STAT 2220 or STAT 2300
3 See General Education Requirements . Six of these credits must also satisfy the Cross-Cultural Awareness Requirement and, if STAT 2220 is not selected, the Science and Technology in Society Requirement.
4 Emphasis area consists of a total of nine credits as follows:
- Six credits selected from COMM 3260 , COMM 3270 , COMM 4260 , COMM 4270 , COMM 4280
- Three credits selected from COMM 3030 , COMM 3050 , COMM 3070 , COMM 3080 , COMM 3090 , COMM 3160 , COMM 3200 , COMM 3210 , COMM 3220 , COMM 3300 , COMM 3480 , COMM 3500 , COMM 3550 , COMM 3560 , COMM 3610 , COMM 3640 , COMM 3660 , COMM 3690 , COMM 3900 , COMM 3990 , COMM 4000 , COMM 4020 , COMM 4050 , COMM 4300 , COMM 4310 , COMM 4510 , COMM 4550 , COMM 4640 , COMM 4660 , COMM 4700 , COMM 4800 , COMM 4990